Watch out for Snakes

There have been reports of an increased number of adder sightings in the South Downs national park and elsewhere.

Adders are usually shy but they are venomous and it’s advisable that dogs are kept on the lead wherever possible during this warm spell. The adder is the only venomous snake native to the UK and a bite can have a serious effect on dogs.

Bites are likely to occur on a dog’s legs or face and are likely to result in a dark, painful swelling. Owners may also be able to see two small puncture wounds in the centre of the swelling.

This swelling can become severe and may result in breathing difficulties, as a consequence of an allergic reaction to the toxin, particularly if the dog has been bitten around the head and neck. Other problems can occur even if a bite is elsewhere on the dog’s body.

So, if you think your dog has been bitten by an adder, contact us immediately for advice.